Coverdale began in Moncton, NB in 1923 as the Inter-Provincial Home for Young Women by the Anglican, United Baptist, Presbyterian, United and Methodist churches. Located across the river from Moncton in Riverview, NB, on Coverdale Road, it served as a minimum security prison for girls 16 years of age and older who were sentenced to terms of less than three years. Educational and rehabilitative programs were provided to women.
At the time, the only other facility for women was the prison in Kingston, Ontario. The establishment of Coverdale made it possible for women to receive services at a minimum security facility closer to home. For many years the Home was a pioneering venture in working with women in the justice system. Eventually, with the rise of provincial correctional facilities, and the withdrawal of government support, it was no longer possible to continue the work of the Home.
In 1976 it split into two independent associations, one in Saint John, NB and the second in Halifax, NS. Coverdale changed from an institution based to a community based service focusing on intervention and prevention. Now Coverdale plays a pivotal role in the development and implementation of innovative support programs for women.
For more on the history of the Inter-Provincial Home for Young Women